Thursday, March 19, 2009

Happy Anniversary Oma and Opa


This date 60 years ago my Oma and Opa got married!!! I wish I had a picture of their wedding day but those pictures are all up in Canada. Above is a picture of them at our wedding three and a half years ago. I am sad to say that Oma and Opa were not able to celebrate this wonderful day due to my Oma's passing in January but I don't feel that makes this day any less special. As a young couple with young kids my Opa left Germany for a better life for his family in Canada. After Opa found work in Ontario and a place to live my Oma packed up the kids, left her family, and took a 2 week boat ride to a foreign country where she didn't know anyone and didn't know the language. They were true pioneers of their time and paved the way for a bright future for their family. I sit back and am in awe of all they accomplished and all they sacrificed and am very greatful for all the sacrifices they made so I could have a brighter future.

Today I think about my poor Opa who will celebrate this day alone. While my Oma was sick and in ICU Opa kept saying, "I just want her to make it until our 60th anniversary." It broke my heart and still does. We are thinking about you Oma and Opa and thank you for setting a great example of what a true marriage is and sticking out things in good times and bad. I only hope Brad and I can set the same example for our family. Wir haben euch lieb Oma and Opa!

2 comments:

Dave and Jenn said...

Oh Ambre, what a great tribute to them! Thanks for sharing...

Sara Wittenberg said...

Ambre, this is SUCH a sweet story. Nice of you to commemorate this important day!