Sunday, May 24, 2009

How to help a new Momma

Being a new Momma I have had a lot of family and friends offer help!! I want to first start out by saying a BIG Thank You to all that have helped me!! Helped has been offered in a number of ways all of which I am thankful for. Meals have been brought to me (very yummy meals), Owen has had play dates, postpartum items necessary for mommy healing have been left at our front door, I have had many phone calls of people checking in and offering help, and family and friends have come and stayed at our house to help me while Brad was out of town. Without all of this surviving this first month as a family of 4 would have been much harder especially with my stomach issues I have been having. Not having to worry about shopping and cooking has given me more time to spend with our little Addy which I am enjoying every second of. Time flies and I don't want to miss out on any of our precious bonding time. Juggling two kids and trying to spend as much time as possible with each is hard enough without all the extra house work.

This weekend Grandpa Ken and Grandma Robin came in town for a visit. Ken said he once heard someone say that bringing meals to a new mom is nice but what a new mom (and dad) really want is help with the "honey do" list. That is SO true. As I'm sitting on the couch holding Addy I go through the list over and over in my head of everything else I "should" be doing and it drives me crazy! One of the things that I have to do every day is the dishes. Well by the time I get around to doing them it is dark outside. Why should this matter you ask. Well it matters because the light in our kitchen has not been working for several months and I open the blinds and use natural light to get stuff done so when it is dark outside it is hard to tell the clean dishes from the dirty ones. This is the same problem Ken had when he went to load( or unload) our dish washer, he wasn't sure if they were clean or dirty. So, while Robin was folding our sheets and towels Ken ran to the store (2 times) to get stuff to fix our light. We now have light and boy what a difference it makes in the house!!! Thank you SO much Ken!!! And the sheets that sat unfolded for over a week finally got put away in our linen closet! Thank you Robin!! Now if I can just get Jennifer to come put cute bows on our towels I'll be all set!! : ) By helping with the honey do list I realized how much that also helps a new dad be able to sit and enjoy time with his baby which is also very important! So, if you are looking for ways to help out new parents and you don't want to bring a meal think of something you usually add to your own honey do list and offer that service to them! They will really appreciate it! Thank you again to all those that have helped!!! We really appreciate it and so do our kids!

2 comments:

Dave and Jenn said...

Awww, I would be happy to come put bows on your linens! :-) Do you guys need anyone to mow your lawn? Dave and I would be happy to help with that. Dave is pretty handy around the house so please, please don't think twice about calling us if you need anything. I loan him out to help friends all the time.... haha. :-)

Del, Kari, Kyle and Kolby said...

I'm thinking that having that honey-do taken care of took stress away, too, because you weren't harassing DH! :) Can't wait to see you on Saturday!!