Thursday, May 28, 2009

Acadiana Zoo Day

Let me first start out by saying I went against all I believe in by going to the Acadiana Zoo with the kids. Those of you that don't know me might be asking why. Well I'll tell you. The Acadiana is a privatly owned zoo that is not AZA affilated which means they don't have to follow certain rules and guidelines about animal diets, enrichment, husbandry, and housing. A lot of times zoos like this are the roadside zoos you see poor animals that are bored, depressed, and lonely and usually overweight or underweight because of diet (or lack there of) and housing situation (either alone or with no room to run or any sort of entertainment. I don't believe in supporting these type of zoos that are just out to make a buck instead of using the animal as a form of eduction and conservation. If you would like to know more about AZA affilated zoos and the importance of that feel free to ask but I'll get off my soap box here!! Let me say that the Acadiana Zoo is outstanding even though they are not AZA affliated so there are some good privatly owend zoos out there. I took a close look at the aboved mentioned criteria and was very please with what I saw and therefore was happy to take the kiddos to see the animals while Brad was at work.


I am a huge animal lover. For those of you that don't know, I got my Masters in biology where I focused on animal behvior more specifically I looked at enrichment of captive primates. It brings great joy to me to see that Owen has the same love of animals!!! He was so excited to spend the day at the zoo pointing out everything he saw and wanting to take a closer look! He especially loved to point out the monkeys and yell, "Monkey Momma, Monkey!!!"! That's my boy!


The day was pretty hot, about 90 degrees, but the zoo did a great job building itself around the trees. There was lots of great coverage that made it a pleasent day!!! It was also nice to see the animals had lots of places to seek out shelter! Beside the petting zoo is a little train that Owen was super excited to ride. Below is also the only picture I got of Addyson. Poor kid is already getting second kid treatment!! : ) She had a great day too! I laid the stroller seat completely flat so she could lay in there and look up at things and enjoy all the animal sounds. It was much to hot to keep her in the sling outside of this short trip on the train.


We spent about 2.5 hours at the zoo and had a wonderful time! Another wife came along and it was great to have her help!! It has been a long but fun morning!!!

We wanted to wait to get back to the hotel to eat lunch and it was VERY hard to keep Owen awake for this!!! As soon as we got back to the room the 3 of us crashed!!! I woke up in time to take this picture. Awwww!!! I love a sleeping baby!!


Right after I took this picture Owen rolled over! Do these 2 pictures resemble eachother?!?!


1 comment:

Dave and Jenn said...

Those pictures of Owen and Addy sleeping are adorable!