Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Naptime


Around 18 months old, we started having Owen sleep in his own bed. We came up with a great nighttime routine that after about a month or so we were able to leave his room with him still awake and he would fall asleep on his own! It was great! Before that, one of us had to stay in there with him and pat his bum and then quietly sneak out hoping that a dog wouldn't bark or the door wouldn't squeak and wake him up in which we would have to start all over from scratch. Now we read a book or two, talk about our day, say our prayer, and then a good night kiss and we walk out of the room. We never hear a peep out of him and when we go check on him he is fast asleep.

Well nap time hasn't been as easy. Maybe it was because I never really pushed the issue. While I was pregnant with Addyson I enjoyed laying down with him. I liked snuggling up with my little man and taking a nice 2-3 hour nap!!! He always slept longer if I was napping beside him. Now I don't really have that luxury unless Addyson just happens to be sleeping at the same time (1 out of 10 naps). So I decided last week that I was going to try a naptime routine and see if he could put himself to sleep. His favorite things are books so I give him his favorite one of the day and tell him he can read it and I'll be back to check on him. I come back and find him hugging his book fast asleep!!! Yay for a naptime routine!!!!!

No comments: