Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Crafts

I had a list of Christmas crafts I wanted to do with the kids this year but I didn't realize how crazy things were going to be between the move and the holidays so we didn't get everything done. I'm embarrassed to say we didn't get around to baking cookies.... I just never made it to the store to get all the ingredients we needed. Oh well.... we did other fun projects and Owen doesn't know my list of things we didn't get to! : )

A MOMS Club activity was making plates! There is a mom that makes a plate with her kids every year and I thought it was a great idea so I started this year. We let Owen do his own thing and he came up with this very colorful masterpiece!!! I helped Addyson a bit (and so did a couple of other moms) and colored her hands and a foot to make a Rudolph plate! I think this will be neat to display every year!
Another project was making bird seed cover pine cones. I remember making these as a kid and was reminded about them when I read Amanda's blog (thanks Amanda!).

Since we are surrounded by pine trees it was easy to find pine cones for this project! After gathering them, I showed Owen how to spread peanut butter on them.
I'm not sure if he ended up eating more than he spread but it sure looked like he did! : )
After covering them cones in peanut butter we rolled them in bird seed. Next year I will be doing this part outside!!! I didn't realize how messy it would be! Especially with a 2 year old in charge of it and that 2 year old covered in peanut butter which made for an awful mess!!!Despite the mess, we were very happy with our finished product and we hope the birds are happy with it too!
This year I thought it would be neat for Owen to decorate some ornaments! He really enjoys painting and, as you've read in previous blogs, I love to have an ornament (or 2) that are special to each year so I thought this would be a perfect Christmas craft!
He had so much fun painting them and I am so happy with how they turned out! Can't wait to see what he paints next year!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I LOVE the plate Owen made! SO cute!!!

Lisa said...


I love the plate idea--adding this to my list of possibilities for this year. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa @All That and a Box of Rocks (via Kate's I Love Fun Fridays)