Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cook & Conquer 3

Today I hosted my third successful Cook & Conquer!  This one was a bit different than the last two because this time I had 2 groups!  Group A was the large group and had 8 families in it!!!  Group B was the smaller group with 5 families!  That is a total of 13 families that participated this time!  As you can imagine, the more people you have, the more complicated it gets!  When I started this group, I envisioned a small group of 5 friends that would each cook 2-3 meals and we would swap them. I thought we could all buy the same sort of container that we would just swap so we didn't have to keep buying aluminum dishes.  Well, as you can see from the numbers, this is MUCH bigger than I had imagined so I have to be a bit flexible on my vision!  This means I don't get to be picky either, meaning I eat many dishes with onions in them.  For me, however, it is a good trade off!  I'll eat a bit of what I don't like in order to have my evenings free of cooking and cleaning!  It is SO nice to be able to pull something homemade out of the freezer in the morning, put it in the oven in the evening, and then put 3 plates and 3 forks in the dishwasher as clean up!

For this round, I made 9 dishes of Mexican Lasagna!  It is SO YUMMY and healthy (I got it out of a Canadian cookbook called Eat, Shrink, & Be Merry) I'm going to post the recipe here!
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1 cup each diced red onions and bell pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup diced tomatoes
 1/2 cup canned corn
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cups tomato pasta sauce
1 cup medium salsa
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro (I used a lot more)
4 lg or 8 small whole wheat flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded light cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375 and spray a 9*13 casserole dish and set aside
  • Cook turkey, onions, green peppers, and garlic until meat is no longer pink.
  • Add black beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, and cumin.  Cook for 2 minutes.  Addy pasta sauce, salsa, and black pepper.  Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add cilantro and remove from heat.
  • To assemble, spread 1/3 mixture over bottom of your dish.  Top with 1/2 the tortillas, overlapping and cutting as necessary.  Top with 1/3 sauce mixture, followed by 1/2 the cheese.  Cover with remaining tortillas, followed by remaining sauce.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
  • Cover with foil and back 35 minutes.  Uncover and back 10 more minutes.
  • Top with light sour cream and fresh avocados!  Enjoy!!!!!!!
If you make this, please let me know how you liked it and if you changed the recipe at all!  We loved it!
Here's  a pic from my second Cook & Conquer since I didn't get a chance to write about it!  I made a yummy spinach and feta quiche that was low fat!  Instead of pie crust, I used a brown rice/onion mixture to make a crust!  Another great recipe from Eat, Shrink, & Be Merry.... Sealed With a Quiche! : )

1 comment:

Sara Wittenberg said...

Hey, you changed your blog background! I'd love the quiche recipe - you should post it, sounds yummy!