Sunday, January 23, 2011

Food Prep

In an effort to start this semester out of the right food I'm trying to get better at preparing things in advance and the one thing I focused on this week was food prep.  I use to try to organize a Cook & Conquer with a group of women but that turned out to be more complicated than I thought it would be.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the idea and would love to do it again it is just hard to find the right group of women who want to cook like you do and who want to make 6-8 sets of one item.
So what I decided to do this time was do a mini cook & conquer for myself!  One morning, while the kids were at school, I took my cookbooks to Panera where I could prepare my menu and shopping list while enjoying a yummy breakfast.  If you are looking for a yummy, low fat cookbook I highly recommend the one above!  We love everything I make out of there and I have used it for most of my previous cook & conquer swaps.  I tired to pick recipes that used a lot of the same ingredients so I could buy in bulk and save some money.
It ended up working out perfectly!  I shopped the day the kids were at school and had everything I needed so today, while Brad was home to help, we could chop and prepare while the kids napped.  I couldn't believe how much we got done in such a short time!
After an hour and a half we had everything chopped and I had almost every dish put together!  I made "Livin' on the Vedge" which is roasted veggies with lemon couscous (pictured in the oven) and we ate that tonight and it was super yummy!!!!  I also made two "Fromage a Trois" or three-cheese vegetable lasagna (pictured above).  I cannot believe all the veggies that went into this dish (actually all of the dishes), made me really happy to be making such healthy meals that I can just pop in the over when I get home from school instead of going out to grab a quick bit of not-so-healthy food that I tend to do because I don't have the energy to cook.
To finish up all of the chopping and preping, I put together this yummy "Tuskinny Chicken" that is a one put Italian dinner that is suppose to be cooked in the over but I plan to throw this in the crock pot on Wednesday since Wednesdays tend to be our busy day.  We don't get home from Addyson's gymnastics until 6:30 and by the time I try to cook it is 7 or later before we eat.  I love how the crock pot can help with that!  Now that everything is made and dishes are cleaned up I feel SO good about this.  I hope I can stick with this plan and try to do this once a week or at least every other week!  If you have a yummy recipe to share I'd love to hear it!

No comments: