Monday, March 14, 2011

After a Long Weekend

This seems to be a typical seen for us Monday mornings, after a busy weekend.  Brad hugs us all goodbye, if he doesn't have a 6am flight (which means he leaves at 4:30.... which means he gets up at 3:30..... UGH!!!!), and it out the door.  I'm left picking up the pieces from a busy weekend, recuperating, and trying to get us all back on schedule.
Today was especially hard because it has been an EXTREMELY LONG weekend!  Let me fill you in!  It all started Friday morning when we were trying to figure out what to do.  We had our wonderful babysitter coming and we were free to do whatever!  Due to all of the snow days, we had some extra time built up with her (we pay her a flat rate every week regardless of what she works and sort of make up hours as we need it if we need it) so I got the bright idea to go to Tulsa for an overnight trip which included shopping at some favorite stores and dinner at the Melting Pot.  Somehow, and I'm not sure exactly how, it quickly turned from that to us having a garage sale Saturday morning and the garage sale won out.  I think it has something to do with an idea I got from another blog that is getting rid of 40 bags in 40 days for lent and I knew that that was something I wanted to do this lent and what better way to start or get inspired than a spur of the moment garage sale!  I grabbed a basket and started going throughout the house gathering things.  Called my mom and got her to watch the kids Saturday morning and called my brother Kellen to get him to help move the big stuff.  Things were falling into place, we had a few friends bring stuff over, and it turned out to be a huge success!!!  We got rid of stuff, made money, made our friends money, and we didn't spend money on a trip to Tulsa!! Win win!
During the garage sale we noticed Sam was constantly throwing up.  Actually he started throwing up Friday night and then barked all night long.  Now he couldn't keep food or water down and was getting really weak.  I ran him to the vet fearing the worse!  God placed the right vet to walk in, he is new at Wedington Animal Hospital so I've never seen him but he is an older vet with a big heart.  He never examined Sam, he didn't want to run up a huge vet bill for me.  We talked and I bawled.  He told me that it wasn't going to be long before I needed to make that dreaded decision about Sam.  Old Sam has been living with kidney failure for about a year and the vet was super impressed he has done so well and has lived this long with such a condition.  I think what happened was the kids found some old treats, during our house purge, that are full of protein and they fed Sam handfuls of them which sent Sam's body into shock.  Not wanting to make any decision without talking to Brad and letting Sam get one last trip to Shake's, the vet and I decided it would be best for Sam to get an IV of fluids and I talk him home to rest.  I took him home and have babied him all weekend and have shed more tears than I have in a long time.  I got Sam for my 16th birthday.  He has been there with me through thick and thin, good and bad.  He was in my wedding.  Was there when I brought my babies home from the hospital.  He has been there for it all for the past 16.5 years and I'm not ready to say good bye!!!  So I'm exhausted from a long weekend of working, I'm emotionally drained from worrying about Sam, and I am anxious because I have a take home test due Tuesday that I haven't even started.  How am I going to get through this week being a great mom to my kids, being a single parent, and trying to be a student on top of it all????
I'll have to smile at the precious moments with my kids and try to hang on to that!!!  As Brad was leaving Owen said, "Daddy, I'm going to work too when I get big.  I'm going to work with you!"  Brad was excited and had Owen come tell me of their big plans!  Brad wanted Owen to shake on it and Brad already started to think of  a father-son training team!!!  Oh Owen, I hope you know what you got yourself into!!!  For Owen, I think going to work with Dad means you get to travel with him and you don't get left at home.  Can't wait to see if he follows in his daddy's footsteps!!!

For now, I'm praying for a stress free week, happy kids, my test to write itself, and for this week to go quickly so I can start my much needed break and enjoy Spring Break with the kids!

No comments: