Monday, April 25, 2011

Rain, Rain Go Away!

It has been raining in Fayetteville for days!!!  And today, it has been raining for hours non-stop.  We look outside and wonder if it is ever going to end.  Times like this take us back to our 2 floods in Lafayette, LA and we are SO thankful we are in the mountains of NW Arkansas where water can flow down instead of into our house.  But, I have to say, this rain storm everyone in town was holding their breath!
We escaped without any damage, just a few of our outside lights were busted from the hail (I think it has hail about 3 days this weeks).  We know people who weren't so lucky, they had water come into their house and I can feel their pain.
Luckily, there is a huge drainage ditch/river beside our house and when we opened our door it sounded like we lived next to a raging river!!!  And when we looked out at the golf course it look liked we lived on a lake!  SO MUCH rain!!
Fayetteville had a record 13.25 inches of rain in 5 days.  This was the (more than) 100 year flood!  I can't find a record just for today but let me say it was enough that the University close for the first time ever due to flooding!  Roads in Fayetteville were closed because they were covered in water.  There was no good way into our neighborhood.  Deane Solomon was covered!  Before they canceled classed I emailed my teacher to say I wouldn't be there, I was afraid that even if I got out I wouldn't be able to get back to my house.  Around 6pm the rain stopped and within an hour or so most of the water was gone and the majority of the streets were passable.  What a crazy, rainy day!  NOW, rain, rain go away!!!  We are ready for some sunshine!!!

No comments: