Saturday, March 3, 2012

Entertaining

I often tell people that my transition from 2 to 3 kids has been my easiest transition yet and it was my most dreaded transition.  I thought life with 2 kids was SO hard and I couldn't imagine what it was going to be like with 3... I was scared!!!
As I try to figure out what has made this latest transition the easiest I think a couple things factor in.  One, I'm experienced.  I am confident in how I do things and I no longer let people bully me into doing it their way.  I'm their mom and I know best!  This had taken a lot of stress and anxiety off of my plate!  !
The second, and I think might be the main thing, is that I have two big kids that can entertain themselves, each other, and the baby!!!  That takes the focus off of me and my main job is no longer the entertainer!  I get to focus on other things such as household stuff, daily kid care, and snuggle time.
When I'm in my room nursing Ethan I can often hear giggles coming from different parts of the house and I cannot wait to go spy on them and see what they have been up to! The create games, read stories, color, play games, and.... play with my phone!!!!  Owen has memorized the password and knows how to "break in" to my phone and he can pull up any game he or Addyson wants to play!  And, for the most part, they do a good job of sharing without my help!  That is something I have really been working on since it seemed like every time Ethan was ALMOST asleep one of them would come in crying and tattling that the other wasn't sharing, wake Ethan up, frustrate me, and I'd have to start all over again after jumping up to break things up and then coming back to a screaming baby.  I have now taken a "work it out between you guys using your words" approach and they are starting to figure it out!
So, put aside the fact that they are older and can help with chores, they can get snacks when they need them, take themselves potty, get themselves dressed (might not be matching) with shoes on (might be on the wrong feet) and in the car if needed, help me with Ethan, and may other things they couldn't help with or do when we went from zero to one kid and from one kid to two.... the mere fact that they find each other SO entertaining has made this transition to three kids so much easier for me!!!

No comments: