Sunday, March 4, 2012

Ethan is 5 Months

This not so little guy in our lives is now 5 months old!!!  I look at him and in shock and awe that before my eyes he grew up and is no longer the not so little 10 pound baby I had at home just the other day!  He is now over 18 pounds, social, active, and curious about the world!
He is my smiley guy.  Strangers will say "Hi" to him and he'll smile really big at them and then they will ask me, "Is he always this happy?"  Yes, for the most part.  He is a happy guy!!!  He isn't happy if he is hungry, tired, or being ignored!  He loves attention... who doesn't?!?!  A simple "Hi" and smile his way is enough to get him to quit crying and get him to flash you a BIG cheeky grin!!!  He is smiley but, he isn't a huge laugher.... he is more of a squealer..... he's always been that way.  Now, we've realized that his squeals, which can be rather loud and embarrassing at times when we are out in public, can mean happy, sad, mad, and excited.  There are times I can get him to laugh, when I do something silly over and over again but, it isn't a huge belly laugh..... its a giggle and if I do it enough I can get a bigger giggle... I'm still waiting for the big belly laugh.  He likes to have his neck kisses and his tickle spot is on his chest... that can make him giggle too.  But mainly, he just squeals... squeals with delight!
He smiles with his whole body!!!  If he is really happy, his whole face lights up and then his body tenses up and he ends up leaning over.... he really does smile with his whole body!!!  I love it!  It makes everyone around him smile back!
His personal form of entertainment is his tongue and spitting.  He is always spitting and blowing bubbles!!!  Try explaining to your 2.5 year old why it is okay for the baby to spit but not her!! : )  Not so easy!  If he is not making a drooley mess by spitting, he is making one by shoving 1-5 fingers in his mouth and sucking/chewing on them.
This month he mastered rolling over both ways.  He can also rotate himself around in all directions by squirming and using his feet.  When on his belly; he arches his back, pushes up on his tippy toes, and moves.  Is this the start of a crawl????
This month he has started to reach for things.  Not ready for this, I've ended up with a couple of plates of food in my lap and part of a spilled cup of water.  He is also grabbing fist fulls of hair and pulling.... time to cut my hair or start wearing a ponytail daily!! : )  He is also reaching for all sorts of items that catch his eye and can reach for things while on his belly.
He is a good sleeper.  I nurse him and then leave him to fall asleep on his own.  He like to roll over to an "almost" belly sleeping position!!  He sleeps so good this way!  He is now nursing only 3-4 times a night!  He still takes several naps a day.  Some cat naps (30 minutes) and some longer ones (1.5-3 hours).  He likes to be in bed by 6:30 if not earlier.  Some days he naps at 5 and pretty much wants to stay down for the whole night.  Down side to his sleep, he is an early riser.... I'm talking before 6 : (.  Not an easy pill to swallow for this non-morning person.  When Brad is home, he'll get up with Ethan.  When Brad is not home, Ethan and I lay in bed for a while before I get the energy to get up!  He is pretty good about laying beside me entertaining himself, talking, and smiling at me.  He tolerates about 30-45 minutes and then he is ready to get up and move about before going down for his first nap 1.5 after he initially wakes up.
He spends a lot of time in the bouncy seat when I need both my hands but he is starting to get tired of it.  He likes to play and is fine but I think he wants to be sitting up fully and not laying back in a reclined position.  He likes the swing because he can sit up and watch us all run around and get ready for the day.  He is probably ready for the exersaucer but I guess I'm not sure if he is strong enough for it yet.... I still consider him my little baby!
If I were to quiz him (like I do the older two) here are what I think some of his answers would be...
What is your favorite drink? Breast milk but, I'd like to know what my mom gets from the fridge several times a day.  It looks cool squirting out.... I'd like to give it a try.
What is your favorite toy?  My green and blue monkey and my new Ringley
What is your favorite seat?  Bouncy seat and I like the swing because I can sit up and see everyone. But, I prefer when my mom holds me and I can stand.
Who is your favorite person?  Owen and Addyson
What is your favorite show?  Watching Owen and Addyson
What is your favorite thing?  My hand and my tongue
What is your favorite thing to do?  Blow bubbles
What is your favorite song?  Baa Baa Black Sheep and Hungry, Hungry Hippo.  Owen thinks I like "Jingle Bells"
Ethan has been such a joy to have in our lives.  Not only have I enjoyed watching Ethan grow up, I've enjoyed watching the kids blossom into big siblings/ big helpers.  Owen is the protector and wants to make sure Ethan is happy and safe.  Addyson is the helper and wants to help change Ethan's diaper, get him toys, and just be by him......
 all the time!!!  It is almost impossible to take a picture of him without her.... she prefers to have a least some little part of her body touching his at all times.... her big thing is to touch her head to his (she has done this since she was a baby as her sign of love, it is her way to "hug").  It can be a bit frustrating at times.... like now.... when runny noses and coughs are getting passed back and forth between these two!!!  I swear I am saying, "Addyson, give Ethan some space!!!" about 200 times a day!  I guess I should be happy that she is embracing him.... it could be the extreme opposite!!!  And luckily, Ethan adores her and loves the attention!!!  Everyone has found their spot and groove in the family and Ethan fits in like a glove!!!  Happy 5 months little guy!!!

No comments: