Thursday, August 23, 2012

What's for Dinner?

If you open the fridge in our house and Ethan is around he is going to head there AS QUICK AS possible and hang out!!!  This is his new favorite toy!!!  If you close the door before he has a chance to get there or before he is done playing, he screams.
So, to make my life a little easier and to avoid feeling like I am ALWAYS taking things away from him, I switched the bottles on the bottom to shelves to plastic bottles and I just let him do his thing while I'm buzzing around trying to get lunch or dinner prepared.  It usually works out okay because I am in and out of the fridge anyways and it would be a lot to move him every time so, with the door open and Ethan content prepping goes a lot quicker and smoother!
Hey dad, wanna see what mom and I made for dinner?!?!  Come check it out!!!  There are lots of colorful things in the oven and it smells really good in here!!!
Doesn't this plate look great?!?!  What's for dinner?  Tonight, we are having baked salmon, roasted veggies including cauliflower, turnips, carrots, green beans, and beets and we are having a red quinoa salad.  Yummy!!!!
With my newest "love" (might be a bit too strong of a word just yet) of cooking, I've been trying out new things.  Tonight, I tried out 3 new things and they were all hits!!!  After we picked up Owen from school we all went shopping (the kids and I) and pick up the veggies and quinoa along with other great fruits and veggies for the week.  I didn't have anything planned, I just followed the kids around in the store and we sort of put together the plan for the week.  Probably not the best way to shop but it worked out tonight!
The red quinoa salad is a MUST try!!!
1 cup red quinoa washed and rinsed cooked per the directions on the package.
After you cook and cool that toss it in a bowl with...
2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs. plum vinegar
2 tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 chopped leeks
1 large beet cooked, peeled, and diced  (I roasted my beet... you can also boil the beet in the water with the quinoa if you want)
Handful of radishes (I tossed mine in olive oil and salt and roasted with the beets then cut in pieces)
Dinner was good to the last drop!!!!
Wanna know why Ethan is laying on the ground with his tray?!?!  He gets tired of sitting when he is nearing  being done eating.  He screams and arches his back.  So, we've started letting him get down and he if has food left on his tray we put in on the ground so he can still eat if he wants to.  Tonight,  guess he was a bit tired and wanted to stretch out while he finished his dinner!!! : )  The kicker, when we do this, is keeping the dogs out of the kitchen and off of Ethan's tray while he finishes his dinner so they don't eat it before he has a chance to!!!!  So, that's what's for dinner at our house!! What did you have at yours???

No comments: