Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fun with a Box

At times, I get really overwhelmed with the amount of "stuff" we have.  It is everywhere.  Good and bad stuff all over the house, garage, car, backyard, bag, you name it... there is stuff in there!  When  I get really frustrated I decide that I want to be a minimalist!  I want to get rid of almost everything.  It sounds scary but, the people that do it say they are actually happier.  There is less to clean up, clean around, and deal with!  Life is simple.  With 3 kids, 2 dogs, and a busy life I could use simple!  And while it might be a shock to the system at first, I don't think the kids would mind... not now at least.
They have been playing with these 2 boxes for 3 days!  (and yes, that is an Amazon box that brought STUFF to our house just the other day.... gulp!)  It is amazing the creativity and imagination of kids.  They can take the simple things and turn them into something fun.... like our camping trip where they play with rocks and sticks for days at a time with no complaints!  Owen's box was his soccer goal!  This area was this soccer field and we were to stay on the carpet to watch him.... he played soccer for hours!
Addyson's box was her chair.  She had pillows and a blanket in there and sat for hours watching tv (not hours all at one time).  Her nice comfy chair was right beside the box but she choose the box... for days she sat in this box!
There is so much fun to be had with things as simple as boxes!!  I know we will all survive if I get rid of just a fourth of what we have.... now if I can just get up the nerve to do it!  I'm a bit of a hoarder.. not the kind that you see on the tv shows but enough so that it makes it hard to completely purge.  Most things have a sentimental value to me.  I remember who gave it to me, who used it, or its significance and that makes it hard to get rid of things.  However, I need to simplify.... and it looks like that kids wouldn't mind one but.... heck, they are already ahead of me..... playing less with toys and finding fun in items as simple as a box!

No comments: