Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lunch with Owen

I've been trying to come up with ideas to help us all miss Owen less and be involved more.  One idea I had was to go eat lunch with him!  Today was pizza day at school so I took the whole crew to go enjoy one of Owen's favorite days to eat at school!  While I would like to go eat with O without the kids to get more one-on-one time with him, I think it is also important to take the other kids, especially Addyson, so she can join in on the fun....after all, they miss him too!!

When we got there we saw Owen's class outside playing!  It was interesting to see who he was playing with and what kind of game they were playing.  While I was there he mainly played with 2 girls, one of them is Sylvia who he says is his best friend at school, and they were playing "Lion".  Owen is a lion and he chases the girls.... so it begins......  They yell "Try to get me Owen" and things like that and he roars and runs after them as they run away screaming! : )

Funny thing.... he didn't even acknowledge we were there!!!  Not even a wave!  So while I watched them playing outside I went through his day in my head and realized he had another outside play time as well as other free time...... question- why don't they cut out a lot of that excess and send them home early?!?!  I know I'll be fighting this with no answers and you are probably getting tired of reading this question..... sorry, I'm just trying to accept it all... being gone from my baby 7 hours a day 5 days a week!
While Owen didn't acknowledge us outside, when he saw us waiting for him in the hallway he gave us a HUGE smile, wave, and called us to line with him!!!  Melt my heart... I was SO glad we were there!!!
I wanted to get pictures of Owen helping Addyson through line, getting their forks, milk, and tray but man, the line moves FAST!!!!  They have to get these kids through line, sitting down, and eating in such a short amount of time, it was crazy... and that's why the pictures are blurry! : )
After getting our trays filled with corn, salad, and pizza the teachers came around with ranch dressing to squirt on the kids' salads and then the eating begins..... or talking!!!  It was fun to sit back and take it all in and be a part of the conversations.  I was so glad we got to sit with Owen's class and I could meet some of his classmates and put faces to names I hear a lot!
And I think Owen was really excited to show off his family!  He helped Addyson with her milk, made sure Ethan was okay, and told everyone who we were!  When lunch is almost over his teacher came around with "dessert", apple slices, and Owen made sure they Addyson got some.  So cute!  And Addyson was enjoying this lunch just as much as Owen was!
Addyson was so distracted that I ended up taking her pizza in the car with us to eat on the way home!  When they were all done, Owen showed Addyson were to take her tray to put it away and then we said our "good byes" and left.  It was a whirlwind of a lunch but SO much fun!  I can't wait to do it again!

No comments: