Thursday, October 18, 2012

Trip to the Botanical Gardens

Owen got out of school early yesterday and today.   I wanted to take advantage of our rested time together (after I pick him up at 1 we all go home and nap which makes for a pleasant afternoon!!!).  The weather is nice, cool but nice, so I wanted to do something outside.  Owen wanted to go to the pumpkin patch but Brad is working late and I didn't want to go without him.  Compromise.... go surprise daddy at work and take him Halloween decorations we made to decorate his office and then go to the Botanical Gardens.  Dad was SO surprised to see us!!!  While we decorated (kids hung up the Halloween and I took pictures of the kids to hang up), Ethan shopped the drawers looking for highlighters and cords.... he was in heaven!
It was about 5:45 when we left Brad's office to drive across town to the gardens.... something in my gut told me the gardens were probably closed but the kids were really looking forward to going and they would not take my word for it.... so I went..... on the way there I was talking to my mom and she was wondering WHY I would drive ALL THE WAY out there to the other side of town..... it is the other side of town.... far for us but really, in most big cities that little drive is nothing.
There are so many times I let the drive deter me from going somewhere or doing something fun.  Crazy, I know!  Today I'm glad I didn't listen to my gut or my mom and just drove out there!!!!  Speaking of driving, Ethan is really into cars and making them go!!!!  I'm amazed that at 12 months he knows how to do that.... I've never showed him!
When we go to the gardens they were closed!  Yep, they closed at 5 and it was now 6..... ugh!!!!  I drove around the parking lot trying to figure out what to do.  The bike path is close so I thought we could go walk that but realized it would be a bit stressful to take 3 kids on foot on a busy bike path!  Then I realized that the outside of the gardens is really nice too!  There are lots of flowers and other things to look at!  We were here so we might as well get out, stretch our legs, get some fresh air, and run around!  So that's what we did!!!
Then I noticed there was a gate open.... and people walking around inside and some of them were hanging out outside the gate..... I put the two together and figured there was a group that was there still looking around which is why the gate was open.....
So we went in..... I didn't ask..... isn't it better to ask for forgiveness than permission?!?!  But we didn't go in too far, I made sure I could see the gate at all times.... for fear of having to spend the night there after getting locked in! : )  It was perfect!  There was enough to see and enough space to run around that the kids had a blast!
Then the leader of the group came over and told us we were okay to stay in there and that they would be locking the gate soon but there was a secret gate we could go out!  Whew!  But I still didn't take my eyes off the big gate.... I didn't want to chance it!  But really, we didn't need to go in all of the little gardens, we were having fun where we were!
The weather was perfect and to top it off, the kids found a pumpkin from the pumpkin hunt yesterday... bonus!!!
It really was the perfect evening!  I'm so glad we went!  I'm thankful I didn't let the little drive scare me away from this fun family time outside at the beautiful gardens!  Look, I even got the perfect picture on my phone on our way out!!!  What a great impromptu trip to the Botanical Gardens!

No comments: