Sunday, January 13, 2013

Biscuit Doughnuts

Growing up, biscuit doughnuts were a fun Saturday morning treat in my house!!!  My mom had a little fry daddy that she would get out for this special occasion!!!  The little fryer was neat because it stored the oil in it until the next time we used it.  I don't have a mini fryer so I haven't made this doughnuts.... is that a silly reason to wait SO long to introduce there mini doughnuts to my kids?!?!
I decided I had waited long enough to get these doughnuts a try!  Being more adventuresome in the kitchen, I knew I could handle this (they are SO easy but using oil to fry something was a bit intimidating).  I bought a can of Pillsbury country style biscuits (not the flaky kind), cut each biscuit into 6 pieces, and placed them in a pan of hot peanut oil (I heated the oil to 350). When one side was brown, I flipped it over to cook the other side.... it didn't take long.  After the doughnut was cooked, I let the kids cover the doughnut in one of 3 toppings.... this was MY favorite part as a kid!!  I loved helping my mom flavor the doughnuts!!!
We had chocolate (1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 cup coco powder, and 3 tbs milk), cinnamon sugar (1/4 cup of sugar & 1 tsp ground cinnamon), and vanilla icing (1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tbs milk, 1 tsp vanilla).  YUMMY!
This was such a fun treat to make for the kids.... and a great trip down memory lane for me!!!  I remember my mom making the doughnuts and serving them with fruit and sometimes eggs.... I did the same!  I wanted to make sure the kids didn't fill up on just sugar!  I let them pick out their own doughnuts..... and having other things on their plate kept them from filling their plates with just doughy goodness!!! : )
All of the doughnuts were a hit but we all had our favorites!  Addyson loved the chocolate ones!  Daddy liked the cinnamon sugar.
Owen, Ethan, and Mommy all liked the glazed!!!
I made these on a Sunday.... not a Saturday like I had growing up.... but it was a great way to kick off our Sunday and a great first try making biscuit doughnuts!  We let the oil cool down and poured it back in the bottle to store it for another day!  I see biscuit doughnuts being a fun weekend tradition at our house!!!  So easy and so fun!!!

No comments: