Thursday, April 25, 2013

Farm Friends

With packers coming soon and a To-Do list a mile long, I probably should have spent the morning running errands.... however, I told myself that BOTH my kids AND I needed a break from the stress and craziness of the move!  I needed to spend some fun time with my kids because I have been anything but fun these days and a planned trip to the University's Farm Friends event was just what the doctor ordered!
Besides, I think a person can only do SO much before they lose their energy, stem, and sanity!  It is sort of like studying cramming for an exam the night before, there is really only SO much your brain can handle before you start doing more harm than good.  I think that is about where I am.  I have been filling out paperwork, chasing down paperwork, checking off list, making more list, and all while trying to maintain our everyday needs that I think I'm at a breaking point.  But I have to say that I'm SO proud of where we are.... especially since I'm a "last minute" sort of person, the fact that I/we are making lists and working through them is a big deal at my house and we all deserve a break... since we are "ahead of schedule" according to our usual routine with things!! : )
Because we all deserve a break and a little bit of fun, I decided to keep Owen home from school this morning so he could go with us!  I'm SO glad I did!!!  He LOVES farm friends and has been going for years (I think the first time we went he wasn't much older than Ethan is now!) and he thoroughly enjoyed his visit this year... this is a Fayetteville event we are really going to miss!!!
Ethan LOVED the event as well!!!  He is SO brave and wanted to go up to and pet all of the animals!  Not a fear in the world!!!
I think Addyson loved taking Ethan from one animal to the next and showing him around.  She isn't a fan of petting the animals, she likes to look from a distance, but I think it is safe to say that she had just as much fun as the boys but enjoyed different aspects of the outing.  I also have to note the outfit she picked out!  She HAD to wear her fancy dress that is a good twirling dress.  I tired to tell her that this was a dusty/dirty event and a fancy dress wasn't ideal but she wouldn't have it.... so she wore the dress.... after all, that's what washing machines are for, right?!?! : )
Ethan loved the sheep... until they let out a LOUD "BAAAAA!!!!!" and then he was out of there.... crying.  I think it startled him!  Turns out he didn't like the cow "MOOOO!!!!" up close either!
Hey Mom, can I get in there with the piggies?
Ahhhh, this is better!!!  Ethan LOVED this little lamby!!!  He hung out here for awhile!
Little, furry guys like this are more Addyson's speed!
The station that is a HUGE hit for our family every year are the baby chicks!  We love looking in the incubator.....
and holding the baby chicks!!!
Look at ALL of the cute babies!!!
Did I mention we spent A LOT of time here?!?! : )
Then Ethan spotted another one of his favorite animals.... the cow!!!  He calls them "MOOOs"!
The lady whose cows they are was super excited to have a little one SO excited about her cows that she picked Ethan up right away and took him over to pet the cows!  This was great for a second and then a little overwhelming for Ethan as he isn't so keen on strangers and being thrust into a new situation!
Owen took a break from the baby chicks to come see the cows!
Then we had to go milk the "cow".  He remembered this from previous years and talked and talked about it until we went to do it!
Ethan observed
And Addyson took a turn
She didn't mind touching this animal since it was fake! : )
And then Addyson took a picture for me so I could be in some pictures too!! ; )
Ethan spent a lot of time checking out the cow (his favorite animal).....
And Owen spent a lot of time at the incubator!  Thankfully both of these animals were close to each other so I could keep my eyes on both of the boys and Addyson just went back and forth between the two.
What was Owen spending so much time watching?!?!
There was a baby chick that was in the process of breaking free from its egg and we got there at the beginning of the process to see the little guy peck a hole in the egg....
... and we kept watching (taking a small break to go visit the cows).....
... and we saw as the chick got its head free from the egg......
... and we kept watching as it try to wriggle free from the egg.....
... and we saw the chick finally break free from the egg....
.....and Owen just kept watching the whole process.....
... better than any science lesson he'd learn at school today....
... how amazing is this?!?!  We got to see this baby chick hatch from the egg, learn about the process, and talk about the umbilical cord.  So neat!
Then he shared his information with his sister who came over to check on the process of the baby chick... she didn't have the patience to stand there for the whole event that took several minutes!
We had SO much fun at Farm Friends today, it was just the thing we ALL needed and the experience of watching a baby chick hatch from the egg topped off the morning!

No comments: