Saturday, June 8, 2013

Multicultural Festival

This afternoon we headed to the Multicultural Festival at Riverside Park!  The festival has been going on all weekend but we've been so busy that this was our first chance to go visit!
There were lots of vendors with items from all of the world, performers, food, and an area with rides.... you can imagine where the kids made a bee line to!
And I know these are little rides and nothing all that exciting to show off... actually, growing up my mom HATED these road side amusement "parks" and never allowed us to go stating that the rides were unsafe (and they probably are) however, the rides my kids like are the ones that go around and around so there isn't anything too dangerous about them..... so they ride....
... and have a blast.....
.... and I take a ton of pictures.... seriously... we probably have a ton of pictures like this... but I still take more... sorry!
While the little kids were enjoying rides, Owen couldn't think about rides... he only wanted to play games... for $5... and I didn't bring my wallet so I told him he couldn't.... but Nina said to ask Opa....so he did.....
and he got to play a game.... and he won a prize....
.... and all was better in Owen's world!!!  Talk about one track mind... when he thinks about something he can think of NOTHING else.... he fixates on that one thing and can't get past it.  He didn't want to ride rides... he wanted to play games....
so while Owen was fixating and waiting and finally playing games.....
The little kids were going through all of our ride tickets....
....and enjoying themselves!!!!
And now that Owen had his prize..... he was ready to join in on the fun!
But a little late... we were running out of tickets and there was still SO much to do......
He loved this playhouse/ slide.... I remember as a kid making my way through the whole thing and before sliding down the slide I would go back through the playhouse to do it all over again without needing another ticket... but Owen didn't get this... so the third time around I quietly asked the guy working it if Owen could go back through without paying... and he said "yes"!  Whew... we saved a ticket!
The "car" rides were 3 tickets per ride and we were down to 5 tickets for 3 kids... but now that Owen was ready to ride I wasn't sure what to tell him... sorry you wasted all of your time fixated on a game... so we tried to make the most of our tickets and talked Owen into riding this big slide for just 1 ticket!  I'm not sure his cautious self really enjoyed this HUGE slide!  He smiled after it was over and he plated his feet safely on the grass! : )
So we are down to the final 3 tickets with 3 kids wanting to ride the "car" rides... which are 3 tickets each... so you do the math... not gonna work... so my parents stood back and watched to see what I would come up with... they know me and my bargaining skills....
I probably should have told Owen... Sorry about your luck.. this is why you should do what the group is doing.. so you don't miss out... but I didn't... I talked the ride guy into letting Owen ride the car ride for 1 ticket....
Because that was all we had left.... one ticket... because Addyson and Ethan walked their way onto the boat ride with 1 ticket each....
So we ended up with 3 kids all riding a ride for a 1 ticket each... and all of us walked away happy!
And my parents impressed at what I could pull off!! : )Oh... now I see where Addyson gets it from!!
LOVE this picture of the two of them!!!  Thanks Opa and Nina for a fun evening!!!
Now it was time to head to the car!  We had planned to eat dinner where and go to the beer tent but we ended up getting tickets to the magic show tonight so we had to hurry so we could make it there in time!!!
As we passed the stage, we had to stop and watch a little girl as she performed a native dance!  I wanted to make sure we experience some of the "multicultural" part of this festival! : )

No comments: