Monday, December 30, 2013

Day in Hannover

My host sister Birthe came into town yesterday with her family and today she offered to drive her family and my family into Hannover.  Hannover is the town that my host family lived with when I was an exchange student 18 years ago and then I went back to Hannover to work for a nursing home for the German Red Cross after my sophomore year of University.  I was excited to go back and get a peak at the town that I called "home"!  Vater and Mutter even offered to pay for all of us to go to the zoo!!!!  You know us Brewsters, we LOVE a good zoo!!!!
The year I lived in Hannover was my 10th grade year of high school and that year you have to do a 2 week internship.... I did mine at a kindergarten close to my home and my good friend (she was also American) got to do an internship at this zoo playing with the baby chimpanzees..... I was SO jealous!!!!  Funny how I eventually got to work with baby chimps myself later in life...
and now here I am back at this zoo years later with my own little chimps!!!!  Amazing sometimes how life comes full circle!
One of the exhibits at the zoo is this neat walk through with these birds.... Ethan thought it was great until one came up close to check him out!
The two big kids got brave and got close to and even touched this one.... that wanted their picture taken with the "sleeping" one..... it wasn't sleeping it just wasn't.....
walking around like the others!!!!  We didn't even realize but we had "lost" Owen and we turned back and saw that he was on the other side of the 2 birds that were walking around... and he was crying!  So Brad had to go save him!!!!
And then the birds decided that they didn't like Brad so much and they went up and started attacking him with their beaks!  I couldn't help but laugh!!!  Good thing he had put Owen over onto the other side of the fence before the birds got to him!!!!
One way to cheer Owen up after being pinned by a bird....
take him to see his most favorite animal on the planet (remember he asked Santa for a meerkat last Christmas?!?!)  They are one of my favorites too!!!  I almost studied these guys at the St. Louis zoo instead of the Spider monkeys and Colobus monkeys!
Having daddy around to help lift up kids, answer questions, and steer in the right direction is SO nice!!!!  I just love vacation and am SO thankful he gets about 60 days of vacation a year!!!!
We found an animal show to watch... it was cold, the seats were covered in frost (that means a wet hiney when you sit down), and the show was in German.... but we all still had fun!!!!!  We all speak the same language of "cute animals"!!!!!
Checking out the lions perched on the rocks!
Riding an Elephant in "India".... maybe he'll get to ride a real one sooner than later!!! : )
It was a COLD day but a great morning at the Hannover Zoo!!!!
After the zoo Birthe dropped us off in downtown Hannover so we could walk around while she went to visit her sister-in-law!  This downtown area is one where I spent A LOT of time (I just broke the news to my host mom that I skipped a lot of school while I was an exchange student.... no one was keeping record of my or my grades so why go?!?!).  Some days I'd come hang out here just to walk around... I told myself I was learning more German by interacting with people than I would learn in school.... that's how I justified it to myself.  Here we are in front of the main train station... the train station where my host family stood with a big American flag to pick me up for the first time.... look how much I've changed!!! : )
We did lots of walking around.... I was really hoping to remember more than I did.... I really wanted to take them to the American bar/restaurant I use to meet my American friends at once a week but I couldn't find it... and I didn't recognize as much as I had hoped I would.  So, after an hour of wandering around feeling lost.....
we were finally able to partake in one of the things I REALLY wanted to do on this trip.... treat my kids to Spaghetti Eis.... ice cream that looks like spaghetti!!!!  Going to an Eis Cafe (ice cream cafe) is very popular and the menu is HUGE with SO many things to choose from some of them being food that looks like Italian foods (these cafes are run by Italians) like spaghetti, lasagna, pizza, etc.  The kids LOVED it!!!  So much fun to share special memories with these 3!!!
We had such a wonderful day in Hannover... the only thing I wish we had time for was to go see our old house and old school..... guess that just means we have to go back!!! : )

No comments: