Thursday, February 13, 2014

Healthy Eats

For those of you that want to eat yummy food but are intimidated by recipes and/or Pinterest like I am then this post is for you!  I am a fan of cooking these days and I love looking at recipes to get an idea but I'm not good at following a recipe to the "T" because having time/patience to measure things out is not a strong point of mine and I usually don't have all of the required ingredients on hand so I make up things as I go.  Those two reasons are why I just opted to stay out of the kitchen.  So I'm here to say that don't let complicated, fancy, time intensive recipes scare you away from doing something you'd like to try!  Try your hand at one of these easy, no need to measure goodies below!  See, one of the downsides though to "winging it" in the kitchen is that I rarely make the same thing twice.  Brad has started to tell me to write our favorites down so I can make them again.  So here I'd like to share a few of my favorites with you and just know that measurements are not exact here and the beauty is, I don't think they have to be.  Go with your gut!  See what you like and add what you want and change as needed!

This past month and a half I've been trying to get healthy by exercising and we are trying to cook gluten free and make more items that we love instead of always buying them.  This is important to know how to do since things are not always available for us here in Saudi.  One thing we love is almond butter so I thought I'd give it a try and it is SO easy.  Here is my plug, don't let cooking scare you!  I think I put it off for so long because things just seemed so complicated.  And now that I'm trying things I see how easy they are and wish I would have started sooner!

Almond Butter- get some almonds- I got 2 scoops of salted almonds from our store.  I added them to my Vitamix with about a tablespoon of brown sugar and turned the blender on.  Viola!  That's it!  The trick is to keep an eye on the mixture.  It has to process for a long time which heats up the almonds so I turned it off for a minute to let it cool off and then started it up again.  So easy and a huge hit with my kids.  Not only that but I know what is in it, almonds and brown sugar!  That's it!
Next I took Owen's favorite mac-n-cheese recipe (that is really made with cauliflower) and put a spin on it. I turned it into the best and healthiest shrimp alfredo I have ever eaten!!!!
I'll start with the noodles.  We used gluten free noodles that were yummy.  Once the water boiled I added the noodles with a bit of salt and 3 zucchini that I chopped up.  The noodles and zucchini cook together and are both ready at the same time.  I love getting in an extra veggie when I can!
Now for the alfredo sauce-
Take about 3/4 cup of butter and melt it in a pan.  To that I added 1.5 medium purple onions chopped up and about 5 cloves of garlic.  As that was sauteing, I steamed 1 large head of cauliflower using water down chicken broth with a total of about 1 cup of juice.  Once the cauliflower and butter mixer were both ready, I added the cauliflower (with any water leftover) to the butter with a tablespoon of milk, a tablespoon of a soft cheese (I think I will leave this out next time), and salt and pepper to taste and blended it all up with my immersion blender.  Once it was blended to the consistency I liked I added the cooked shrimp to heat up with the mixture.
Add the noodles and Perfecto!  An amazing and healthy dinner! 
(I should add that this made a lot.  We actually had enough for lunch for all of us the next day!)
Want to know what to have for dessert?  How about homemade applesauce!  Again, SO easy to make!  I wish I would have known this sooner!  

Peel, core, and slice about 12 apples put them in a pot with the juice of one lemon, about 1/3 cup of water, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 3/4 tablespoon of cinnamon (add less if you like less cinnamon).  I covered and let it simmer on low/medium heat for 20 minutes and then blended it with my immersion blender!  The hardest part is peeling all of the apples!  Again, a yummy dessert that you know exactly what is in it!  So yummy and healthy!  I hope you give one or all of these a try and enjoy!  If you have any yummy recipes to pass on please do!  We love trying new things!

No comments: