Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Our Journey to Canada

I got the call yesterday that my 90 year old Papa, who I was blessed to have in my life through marriage of my dad and stepmom, too his "final flight" and went home to be with Jesus.  After an amazing and long fight with ALS, his cancer had come back and he was at peace to go.  At the exact same time as Papa was taking his last breaths, my Opa was in cardiac ICU and not expect to make it more than a couple of days.  With both of my parents struggling with the news of their fathers, Ethan and I booked flights to head home to be with them in Canada asap!
Once again, I was just in the States in November to see my grandmother, I quickly called up friends to get help with my big kids and everyone was SO willing to jump in and help any way they could.  I made a couple of freezer meals, talk to my houseboy about helping out, and made a schedule of who was where and when for Brad and then Ethan and I were off!
One of the downsides to all of this was Ethan was battling a stomach bug and had been throwing up for the past 24 hours.  He had been "throw up" free for about 12 hours by the time we boarded the plane but he was still under the weather and weak.  My thought was, if he just needed me and my lap and to watch tv what better place to do that and recover than on the plane.  I made him a little canopy with a blanket so the lights wouldn't bother him and he ended up sleeping pretty well with the help of a little advil!
Little man was a trooper and it was great to be able to snuggle with him.  Knowing why we were going home was an unsettling feeling and having him to take care of kept me distracted!
After 20 hours of travel, Ethan was feeling better and we landed in Toronto with enough time to go visit my Opa before heading home.  I was thankful for the chance to see him and talk with the doctors and I knew I was exactly where I needed to be, home in Canada!

No comments: